Thursday, May 9, 2019

IO Challenge Yellow and Blue


Greetings friends.  Today's theme is all about color....in particular, pairing yellows with blues.  If you would like to see a list of all the participating designers, you can get the full list on the Impression Obsession blog.


I fluctuate between peonies and sunflowers as my favorite flowers, so I jump at the chance to use either one on a card.  For my card today, I used the Sunflower Background die and layered it onto a blue cardstock layer.  First I cut out the sunflower in a darker mustard yellow to create an outline.  I then cut out my flower with bright yellow cardstock and paper-pieced the leaves into the flower outline.  I thought the petals needed a little dimension, so I shaded them with Y04, Y15 and Y17 Copic markers.  Here is a close up:



Originally I was planning on adding dark brown paper behind the center dots, but I liked the look of the navy blue instead.  As a final touch, I added my sentiment onto one of the stitched tag dies.

Need an idea for a 2 minute card?  I liked the look of the bright yellow sunflower outline that was left from my other card.  I glued it onto a blue card and plan to use it as a blank card for writing quick notes.  I am not sure that I have ever die cut an item and then simply glued it to a card.  It was so fast!


Items used on the card:
Card Sentiments 3167-MD
Stitched Tags DIE798-Y

4 comments:

Helen said...

What a lovely card! Yes, the navy blue is the perfect background for this sunflower. tfs

Laura Williams said...

absolutely love these!!! the shading is amazing on the first one! it's the perfect detail to make it pop. that die is gorgeous!

TLady said...

BOTH of your cards look GREAT, Laura! The navy & yellow just go together like peanut butter & jelly! LOL I LOVE the extra step you took on the first card too, with adding a bit more color! ;) A SUPER JOB!!!!!!!!!!! :) <3

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love that die....both cards are wonderful!