Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Something New

I know, I know, it isn't that close to Halloween. However, I recently received a new shipment of images from Impression Obsession that have got me already thinking about fall and winter. For today's card, I used the new Halloween collage stamp by Leigh Hannan. Her stuff just rocks!

There are a couple of things I want to point out about the card. First, it really is just one stamp. I didn't have to do any aligning of images. Second, I colored all of the Halloween items with various Copic markers and highlighted the inside of each frame with a light gray marker (C1). Grays are hard to photograph, but I think you can tell in places that the frames are shaded.

I colored each of the bones with a slightly darker gray (C3) and then went over each bone with the Copic blender pen. When you use the blender, it washes away some of the color underneath. I hope you can tell from the photo that the bones have a bleached look to them. I thought it ended up looking more interesting than when I just used the gray marker alone. To add even more dimension, I added a second layer of gray around the joints of the bones to create some shading.

The cauldron was colored using darker gray markers (C5 and C7). When I started coloring with the Copics, I bought the black marker. However, it is almost too black. (Uh oh, now I have a This is Spinal Tap quote going through my head..."how more black could it be?" But I digress.) By "too black," I mean it is just a solid pitch black that is hard to use to get a gradient of color. I have started using the dark grays more to get a black look that isn't too black. Does any of this make sense?

I can't wait to show you more of the new images, but I think I will space them out a bit so that you don't have to be inundated with Halloween and (gasp) Christmas images so soon!

8 comments:

Michãel said...

The answer is none. None more black. You're getting really good with the shading. It looks great.

Penny said...

Your colouring is AMAZING!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Copics, coloring and shading has really become your thing! You're really good at it!! Another wonderful card! (Enough !!! ???) But you rock! (!!) Q

Ashley M said...

Love your card! That stamp looks like SO much fun to color. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this card!

I want to make one!

Unknown said...

Great coloring! And I am not jealous any more since I have my own Copics. :-)

Michãel said...

now I'm jealous of Deedee!

GiftsByHeidi said...

You are the copic master! I love this stamp!