Tuesday, July 1, 2008

IO Design Team Challenge


Yep, it is time for July's Impression Obsession Design Team challenge. Considering that it is July 1st, are we on the ball, or what? This month's theme was "glitter, sparkle, and bling." Actually, I think I may be paraphrasing that, but you get the gist.

For those of you who know me, you know that glitter really isn't my thing. I love the look of it, but I don't want it anywhere near me. I think anyone else who has had a piece of glitter stuck to their contact would agree with me.

I don't own any glitter, so I thought a good compromise would be to use glitter embossing powder instead. Then I realized I don't own any of that either. So, after I borrowed some glitter embossing powder, I stamped my IO star six times with Versamark ink. I embossed two stars in sparkly red powder then repeated the process with blue and white powders. I cut out my stars and then cut out just the centers of three of the stars. I then popped the smaller stars up onto the larger stars for a layered look and added a rhinestone to the center of each star. Unlike glitter, I LOVE rhinestones. I am thinking about buying stock in them. Can you do that?

Unfortunately, I did all that work to have stars that sparkled, and the glitter didn't really show up in my large picture. I took a close up shot so that you could see the glitter and layering better.


I was feeling nostalgic using my star stamp since it was one of the first ones I received from IO (It was part of their fall/winter 2007 release). I decided I wanted to make a second card using the same star to illustrate its versatility. I used the same techniques as the first card to create a glittery layered star, but the end result of the second card was completely different. I paired the star with one of my favorite sympathy sayings and added some star rhinestones for a finishing touch. It was kind of nice to end up with a sympathy card that didn't have any flowers on it for a change. The star is also great for Christmas cards, but that is another story....


If you would like to check out other challenge cards, be sure to visit Daniela, Julie, Deborah, and Penny's blogs. Penny is an official glitter goddess. As for me, I have decided that virtual computer glitter is my favorite kind.

Special Impression Obsession notes.... I just received sneak peek of the 2008 fall/winter images, and they are fantastic! The design team is working on samples for CHA, and we will start posting them after the trade show. Be sure to be on the lookout!

Also, one of our very own design team members is a finalist in the Paper Craft's Idol contest. Check out Julie's winning card (using IO stamps) in their gallery, and be sure to root for her in the upcoming challenges. I am sure she would appreciate your support.

14 comments:

Penny said...

Laura, you've done a FANTASTIC job with the stars, beautiful cards!!

Seriously, I didn't know you had no glitter?!? Yikes! I do indeed love the stuff!

Anonymous said...

Don't know what happened to you. You loved glitter as a child! Oh, well... Love your star cards!! Q

Julie Koerber said...

Fabulous card!!! LOVE those stars - isn't it funny when you see someone else do a card with a stamp - suddenly you "notice" the stamp!?! I hate to say this - but I don't even remember that from the catalog!! Thanks too for your kind words -- you rock!!

Deborah March said...

WONDERFUL cards Laura!

krcrafts said...

Great stars! Love the embossing and layering you did. Funny that Julie mentioned she doesn't remember it from the catalog...I work there and don't remember it! LOL I love the versatility of it---thanks for playing :)

GiftsByHeidi said...

Love how you made this without any REAL glitter!

Michãel said...

I seem to remember getting a card from you that was completely covered in glitter. I think it was in response to me saying that I never wanted a glitter card. Maybe that's what happened to you glitter stash.... Still loving seeing your work.

Daniela Dobson said...

I love the stars!!! Awesome cards.

Anonymous said...

Laura, your star card is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Well done. I really like the stars.

Heather "Hev" said...

I love the stars and the saying is beautiful :)

maiahs_momma said...

Loved that technique you used for those stars :), wonderful card :)!

Hugs,
catherine
www.mystampinggrounds.blogspot.com
catlevy@eastlink.ca

liannallama said...

oh, they really look great! Love the sparkle!

Jennifer said...

those stars are great!