Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just Mucking About


Do you ever feel like making a random card? I sure do. I have a bunch of whimsical images from companies such as Rubbermoon, Rosie's Road Show, and Claudia Rose that I like to make into little scenes. For some reason, it just amuses me. But then again, it doesn't take that much to amuse me.

For today's card, I am posting a scene I created using one of the newer My Favorite Things clear stamp sets. It is called "Punny Farm." How great is that?! Most of the samples I have seen with the "mucking about" saying involve the woman image walking around in her rubber boots. I understand that kind of "mucking," but to me, I think of "muck about" by this definition- "to do random, unplanned work or activities, or to spend time idly." (Thanks wordwebonline.com for the definition.) This is what mucking about on a farm looks like to me.

To make the card, I stacked the animals on top of each other using an Adirondack black pad. Because the stamps are clear, they were easy to stack. I colored the animals with copic markers and colored the sky with the Rosie's Road Show cloud template and sponged blue ink. The sheep has texture in that he was coated with white liquid appliqué and heated until his wool puffed up. I stamped the saying with black ink and then watercolored around the text to finish the card.

Every once in a while, you just need to make a card that makes you smile.

6 comments:

Penny said...

That's so sweet! I love your leaping sheep. We use the expression mucking about in England especially for children as in 'stop mucking about!'

GiftsByHeidi said...

Oh my gosh Laura, that is SOOO cute!! I love the animals standing on top of the cow. The clouds look awesome. Great card! Darn you, now I need another stamp set.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Sometimes we just need to smile. And this card accomplishes that! Toooo cute! Q

Anonymous said...

Very cute card!! Makes me wish I had skill, stamps, paint . . .

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura...

Another great word meaning 'mucking about' (aka puttering)?

Horngorbling
(I swear)

Source: The Word Nerd by Barbara Kipfer

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Nerd-Barbara-Ann-Kipfer/dp/1402208510

Linda Carson said...

Fantastic fun!!