Sunday, April 6, 2008

Faux Cracked Glass


This weekend I once again participated in Splitcoaststamper's Virtual Stamp Night. I tell you, it was exhausting! There were 18 challenges, and for some reason, I felt the need to participate in all 18. What was I thinking? I make it sound like an ordeal, but really, what is better than some time spent with friends hanging out and crafting?

Today's card was my attempt at the cracked glass technique. I am including a link to a site with more detailed directions than I am providing. For the above card, I stamped the starfish (Impression Obsession) with Adirondack brown ink. colored it with Copic markers, covered the whole piece with Versamark ink, and embossed it with clear ultra thick powder. I reinked the paper with Versamark and embossed it a second and then a third time. When the piece was cool, I twisted it to create cracks in the faux glass. To make the cracks stand out, I rubbed the entire piece with Versafine Spanish Moss and then buffed off the extra ink. It is hard to tell from the picture, but the brown layer is popped up with pop dots. To finish the card, I tied some raffia around the bottom.

I am afraid this card doesn't translate well as a photograph. It looks rather flat to me and appears as though I simply drew some green lines across the starfish. In person, the layers of Ultra Thick powder look and feel like a broken tile.

I know I will be posting more Virtual Stamp Night cards soon. After all, I do have quite a few of them!

4 comments:

Julie Koerber said...

oooOOOOooo! Pretty! Love the cracked glass effect and how you used the new IO stamp! LOVELY!

Penny said...

Oh, very cool idea!! I love the way it looks like an old seaside tile. Now I would have looked at that stamp and thought 'blue' but this is way nicer!

GiftsByHeidi said...

I LOVE this!! I don't think it looks like you drew lines, I can see the cracked glass effect. Love the colors you chose too. Let's see some of the challenge cards you made.

Anonymous said...

Great effect! Can't wait to see more challenge cards! I may have to borrow the star fish stamp...it's a great image! Q