Sunday, March 30, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame!

A few years ago, baseball came back to Washington DC. At the time, I knew very little about the sport. However, I had a friend with really sweet season tickets. We went to a lot of games, and before I knew it, I could quote stats and was worried about the pitching rotation. I also started recounting Nationals stories to my mom (who could care less about baseball) and my brother (who shames the family name with his loyalty to the Mets).

Today, the Nationals play their first game in their new stadium. I am so excited! I thought I needed to write a baseball post in honor of the Nationals and their winning season. Hey! It could happen!


The first picture is a photo of my first Nationals hat. This may come as a shock to some of you, but it is surprisingly hard to find Nationals rubber stamps. What is a woman to do? Carve her own of course!


To carve my own stamp, I copied the Washington Nationals "W" onto white printer paper. I traced the whole thing with a lead pencil and placed it onto pink carving material. I burnished the back of the paper with a spoon to transfer the "W" onto the carving block. I used my carving tools and carved around my shape. I kept shaving away parts until I got the image I wanted.


To make my card, I stamped the "W" onto red cardstock with Versamark ink. I embossed it white and traced it with a black sharpie to make it look like my hat. Cool! I don't carve images often, but I always enjoy the finished product. There is something satisfying about doing it yourself.

Oh! I almost forgot. Go Nats!

1 comment:

Elena said...

I love this, Laura! I cannot wait till I get to a game this year. It'll be my first Nats game. Good talking to you yesterday, too.