Thursday, December 7, 2017

IO Challenge- Last Minute Holiday Cards/Gifts


Hi guys.  Today I wanted to share a project to make a faux glazed ceramic ornament that is really fast and cheap to make.

I started with a white ceramic ornament that I bought from Michaels.  After discounts, it cost about 60 cents.

Next, I die cut a snowflake from the IO Mitten die set.  To do this, I placed a piece of masking paper on top of cardstock and then ran it through my die cut machine.  I then peeled the masking paper off of the cardstock.  Hint...  you have to place the masking paper onto cardstock so that it goes through the die cut machine well.  Next, I put my masking paper snowflake onto my white ornament:


While the masking paper snowflake was in place, I sponged over everything with Impression Obsession Peacock ink:


Then I removed the mask:


You could leave the ornament as-is at this point, but I wanted a finished glaze look on the top.  My first attempt was to ink the entire ornament with Versamark and then emboss it with Ultra Tick Embossing Powder.  That didn't work because the ink from the pad just absorbed into the ornament.   I tried again and used my Versamark reinker and painted the entire top with Versamak ink before adding my Ultra Thick powder.  This worked perfectly.  After one layer, my ornament wasn't very smooth:


I did a total of three layers of Ultra Thick powder total to get a nice, thick enamel finish.  After the first layer of Ultra Thick, I was able to go back to using my regular Versamark pad to adhere the powder rather than the Versamark reinker.

Finished project which was much smoother:


Hints:  If you get small bubbles, keep heating the powder to get them to go away.  Don't worry about bubbles on the first layer since it won't be very pretty anyway.  If the powder starts to run off the edge because you get it too "liquidy," stop heating it, let it cool a bit, and continue to heat the project.  You can use regular clear embossing powder instead of Ultra Thick powder, but it will take a lot more layers to get the same effect. 

I included a lot of steps, but it really is a quick and easy project.  My non-existant Christmas budget also appreciated the cost.  The finished project really did look like a glazed ceramic tile.

Good luck!

Don't forget to visit the other designers for more ideas:

2 comments:

TLady said...

SUPER JOB, LAURA!!! I am ALWAYS LOOKING for new ornaments to make!!! You did such an EXCELLENT JOB on this!!! ;)

Shari Czerwinski said...

Great project! I am kind of addicted to snowflakes :)