Friday, March 12, 2010

"Lacquer" Box

I wanted to share a box I made for my friend Harriett's birthday. Her favorite color is red, so I saved a Peppermint Bark box from Christmas knowing that I would someday make something for her with it. To decorate the box, I cut out a piece of white cardstock that was slightly smaller than the box top. I then stamped the paper repeatedly with black Memento ink and an image from Impression Obsession (Frills F2382). To choose my marker colors, I out my trusty Copic reference sheet and figured out what red I had that would match the color of the box. I was a little worried that choosing reds and greens would make the box to "Christmassy," but I think it turned out okay.

I knew I had to add something to the top of the box to protect it, so I coated the whole thing with Diamond Glaze. I am not sure if it was the best choice or not. For the most part, it looked pretty good, and I know that the Diamond Glaze provides a strong finish. However, I couldn't get every air bubble out, and there are a couple of spots where the Copics look like they bled a bit. I was tempted to use Versamark and Ultrathick embossing powder, but I was afraid that the top would crack. Perhaps a trip to the art store was necessary. Does anyone have a favorite lacquer that works well with Copics?

To complete the gift, I loaded it with an assortment of teas.

2 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous Laura! What a fabulous gift. I haven't tried embossing over my copics. So I don't know how it would have worked.

Arlene said...

I haven't applied lacquer to anything in ages... really ages. I haven't a clue. The box looks marvelous.