Wednesday, March 17, 2010

JustRite Going Green Challenge

The latest challenge on the JustRite blog is to recycle a 3D object and make it into something other than a card. For me, one of my favorite ways to recycle is to make gift card holders out of toilet paper rolls:

Yep, take a plain ol' toilet paper roll and squash it flat:

Can you tell from the picture that the roll isn't perfectly flat? I find that it helps to put it under a couple heavy books until it no longer curves up in the middle.

Before I covered the roll with some of the new Basic Grey Kioshi paper, I cut it open in the back so that it was easier to punch the semicircles at the one end (for easy gripping of the gift card). I taped the roll back together and then covered it with decorative paper. For the closed end, I punched 5 holes with my Crop-a-Dile and added some purple eyelets.

To decorate the top, I added a saying and border from the JustRite Curlz Stamper Kit and layered it onto some decorative scallops.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Laura, that is such a great idea.

Michãel said...

love this!

Liz Weber said...

OH clever idea Laura, just love how gorgeous you make a toilet roll look!

Kathy said...

Only you would like to make a gift holder out of a TP roll. Genius!

Deborah March said...

LOVE this Laura...what a great idea!!

kksb said...

Laura, this is certainly clever and beautiful. Well done. Hope you have fun in Washington.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Laura on winning the JustRite challenge. You deserve it, it is a brilliant idea.

Linda E said...

Fabulous idea!!!

Melisa Waldorf said...

What a clever idea!! Love it!

Unknown said...

You know I'm loving anything that recycles trash into art. This is so stinkin' clever!!!