Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm Back!

I had such a wonderful vacation in New Mexico, but now I am back and back to posting. Did you miss me? Don't answer that.

For today's card, I used one of the latest Impression Obsession Leigh Hannan Halloween images. I just love this pumpkin chandelier. The stamp has so many fine details that I decided to color it using colored pencils. It is hard to tell from the picture, but I added some Candelight Shimmerz around the candle flames and added some Memory Box jewels to make my chandelier sparkle. To finish the card, I added some paper from Basic Grey.

Speaking of Impression Obsession, come back Thursday for a design team "winter" card challenge.

In non-crafting news, I wanted to post some pictures from the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. I always enjoy going, but my friend Deedee scored us some VIP passes which gave us access to a seating area, free food and drinks, and real bathrooms instead of porta potties. It was an unbelievably wonderful day....thanks Deedee!

Before light, the dawn patrol goes up to check out wind conditions. This year they increased the dawn patrol to 10 balloons. When they "burn," they light up like fireflies. The effect is quite beautiful. Can you see the tiny dot on the right side of the photo? You will probably have to click the photo in order to enlarge it enough to see. It sort of looks like a star in the sky. That is one of the balloons in the sky. They are camouflaged in the night sky when the burners aren't going.

At sunrise, balloons start inflating. This year was a bit smaller, and only about 550 balloons participated. Some years they have 800-1000.

More balloons inflating. I loved the tie-dyed one!

Balloons starting to lift off.

We sat at the South end of the park, and the balloons flew right overhead.

Love some of those special shapes. Here you can see the football and soccer ball.

Sometimes the balloons are quite close to each other.

The balloons really start to fill up the sky.

I highly recommend seeing the fiesta at least once in your life. Of course, if you can score some VIP passes, it is so much better! :)

5 comments:

Pajalu said...

Wow Laura your card is wonderful. Those balloons are amazing though, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures :D

Jennifer said...

Welcome back. We missed you. Love the card and love, love, love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne C said...

Love the pumpkin chandelier.. So much fun... The balloon pictures are just gorgeous! Looks like so much fun!

Anne said...

Hi, Laura! I adore watching them set up and launch hot air balloons. Your photo of the pre-dawn launch is very cool with them all lit up from their burners! Great shot!

Jenny Gropp said...

Love the card - that is a FUN image!!!
and the Hot Air Festival pics -- I bet it is totally impressive up close and personal! TFS! cool pics!