Sunday, September 21, 2008

Shabby Chic and Guest Artist

Last week's challenge on the Hero Arts blog was to create something "Shabby Chic." My understanding of Shabby Chic is that it is a worn, vintage look with a lot of pastels, distressed edges, fabrics, twine, buttons, pearls, etc... Basically, not what I normally do. But, I thought it would be fun to give it a try.

To make the card, I used three stamps from the same HA clear set and paper by Cosmo Cricket. I stamped the tree onto some light patterned paper with brown VersaFine ink and colored it in with various watercolor pencils and a blender pen. I cut out the tree and added some pearls to the bottom and to the center of the star. I stamped the bird onto my background paper and again onto the same light patterned paper as I used on the tree. I cut out the body of the bird and the wings from the light patterned paper and then glued it over the bird I had stamped on the background paper. I did this so that I wouldn't have to cut around the bird legs or the string with ornament. I ran some cream paper through a corrugator to give it thexture then ran some brown ink over the top to distress it. I also distressed all of the paper edges with some scissors and added some brown ink to the edges with a sponge. To finish the card, I added some buttons with waxed linen tied in the centers and some lace behind the corrugated paper.

For the next card, I want to share something my friend Marilynn made:

I wanted to share this card because it uses the same stamp I used in my last IO challenge but in a different way. To make her card, she stamped the image with Memento ink and then colored it with Copic markers. I really like the fact that she colored the trunk grey instead of brown...very spooky. I also like that she used both brads and an orange ribbon as embelishments. Marilynn said that the finished card didn't take much time to finish....always a plus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Hero Arts stamp set!! I know you've used it before...but the vintage look is totally different (and cool) way to go with it. You rock! Q

Debbie Seyer said...

I love the shabby chic card! It's awesome.

Anne said...

Hi, Laura! I like your take on "shabby chic"! It's not usually what I do either. So I admire you for giving it a try! :-)

And thanks, Marilynn, for sharing your card with us! It's lovely!