Friday, August 1, 2008

Cards and Announcements

Today's post is going to be a little long, so I thought I would start with the crafting and then move towards all kinds of other announcements. Feel free to fade out whenever you want.

I am posting the outside and inside of a card I made for last week's Hero Art's challenge. The challenge was to create a "wrap-around" card where you used all sides of your card. I have to admit, this was a hard one for me to get started. I ended up making a "friends forever and ever" card to cover all the sides. The only problem is that I don't know where to write on this card! Maybe it just speaks for itself.

Here is the inside of the card. I punched two holes in the center to feed the ribbon through and wrap around the card. The flowers are popped up with pop dots. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures.

Okay, now for the announcements. I was chosen as one of My Favorite Things ambassadors for August. I will be hosting a challenge during the MFT release party next Wed (Aug 6th) on Splitcoast. It will be great to see the new images, and I hope people feel compelled to participate in my challenge!

If you live in the DC area, be sure to stop by Angela's this Saturday (Aug 2nd) for the 5 year anniversary party. It is going to be spectacular! You can read more about the party here. Can you believe it has been 5 years? Yikes! I have seen the door prizes as well as the gift people will get just for stopping by. Trust me, it is worth the gas money.

Next, I am so excited to say that my friend Donna's new book is out in bookstores! Woohoo! You can check it out here. Of course, it is the third in a trilogy, so you could always start with the first one. :) Donna's books are so much fun to read. I just don't know when she sleeps. Besides her career as an author, she is one of the most talented and prolific crafters I know.

Finally, I am closing with a shopping list for Angela's open house. Besides all the fun and prizes, each year we choose a community outreach project. This year we are collecting items for veterans in local hospitals or rehab centers. Our VA contact person requested the following items:
  • Postage Stamps and Stationery
  • Lap Robes (washable preferred)
  • Bibs for patients to have around their neck when being shaved or when eating. Bibs should have backing and should be washable
  • Triple-edge disposable razors, shaving cream (small cans) and aftershave (alcohol-free in plastic containers only)
  • Deodorant, shampoo and powder
  • Gloves, hats, scarves, socks and rubber boots or totes
  • Undergarments for female veterans
  • Brushes and combs
  • Battery operated radios with headgear type earphones for patients
  • Paperback crossword puzzles and word search puzzle books
Please consider bringing what you can. Besides contributing to a worthy cause, you will receive extra raffle tickets for each of the items you bring.

Whew! This was a long post. Did you make it to the end?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Hero Arts card is great! Black, white and red is always a vivid touch... one I forget to use! Q

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this card. It should have been the winner!

Michãel said...

great card. how cool that Angela's does community projects! Maybe I'll pop over for the party.

Elena said...

Just back in town and catching up...I LOVE your card. It is fantastic! I'm sorry I missed out at Angela's yesterday (laundry, ugh).