Friday, May 23, 2008

CPS Challenge #65

Well, I finally finished my sketch challenge card. Whew! For some reason, the branch photographed looking kind of red/orange to me. However, I am on photograph overload, so you are just going to have to picture it a browner color in your mind!

This sketch challenge was provided by Card Positioning Systems, and I wanted to participate. Part of the reason why it took so long was I wanted to brayer the background. This usually doesn't take very long because I normally use white glossy paper and a Kaliedacolor ink pad. However, for this card, I wanted to use certain blue colors and they were blending TOO well on glossy paper. I was ending up with a solid blue piece of cardstock. What is the point of brayering if you can't see the different colors? Here is a breakdown of the card:

First, I stamped some owls by AMuse onto cream cardstock with a black Memento pad. I stamped multiple owls because I was making more than one card at once. I then colored the owls with Copic markers.

For the background, I stamped a branch from another AMuse set with brown pigment ink and embossed it with clear powder. I colored the insides of the leaves green, covered them with VersaMark ink from a pen, and embossed again in clear. This step was wasted because I ended up cutting out leaves and layering them on the card....explanations later! I then brayered back and forth and back and forth with my Cloudy Blue ink. I must have inked the brayer about four times and rolled it onto the paper multiple times between inkings.

I repeated those steps with the Sailboat Blue ink over the top 2/3rds of the card. I made sure not to cover up all that I had already done.

I finished brayering with the darkest blue ink over the top of the card. Remember, this was regular cardstock, so I had to go back and forth and back and forth to blend and get rid of lines. Have I said this enough yet? :)

I cut the card into three strips to match the sketch layout. I edged the pieces with the dark blue ink pad because the cuts showed the cream paper underneath. I also sponged some black ink to the top. This picture also shows how I stamped the owl again onto the bottom panel so that I could glue a little owl body on top. I did it this way so that I wouldn't have to cut out little owl feet. I added a saying with black ink, popped up the owl on top of the feet, punched out a yellow circle and popped it up on the card, and added "stars" with a stardust pen. I ended up cutting out leaves for the branches because I made the mistake of inking the entire branch with brown ink. By the time I embossed the branch, there was very little of the leaves left to color. I wanted more green on the leaves, so I cut some out freehand with green paper. Hope this tutorial helped!

8 comments:

mamaluke said...

WOW, thanks for sharing that technique, a beautifully colour saturated card, love the tones.

Michãel said...

Great card. I really appreciated the effort you went to in documenting the procedure! (And the big first pic followed by smaller pics worked really well.)

Linda said...

WOW! Great use of the CPS sketch! LOVE that background you created and your great tutorial.

Charity Hassel said...

amazing work here! wow! well, welcome to the cps blog and sooo glad you joined in. really hoping you keep playing along!

Deedster said...

Way cute!

Anonymous said...

Great card and I love the pictures in the tutorial. You have a great camera. I had a camera like that once but, well, nevermind....

Laura said...

This is why brothers should not be allowed to post comments. You GAVE me the camera. It is MINE! :)

Laura said...

DANG girl. YOU. ROCK. this is SO cool!!!