Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bluebird

Today I am posting a card using one of my favorite techniques. It involves mulberry paper, clear embossing powder and Colorwash sprays. The technique was originated by Mitra Friant, owner of Impression Obsession, many years ago and has gradually evolved to incorporate various inks and sprays. Although the mediums may have changed, the basic technique remains the same.

To create this card, I stamped some of the newer IO images onto mulberry paper using VersMark ink and embossed them with clear embossing powder. I spritzed the paper with various shades of Colorwash sprays and then removed the embossing powder with an iron (make sure you put the mulberry paper between newsprint to do this step). I then layered the blue mulberry paper onto white cardstock so that the bird and cherry blossoms really popped. I added additional layers of blue cardstock and placed a rhinestone on the bluebird to finish the card. This technique is easy, but VERY messy! If you would like to see more samples of the batik technique, I am including a link to some of Mitra's samples.

I want to apologize to anyone who was watching my blog to see if my Clear Cards class still had room in it. It filled before I even realized it. I am just now marking it as full. Sorry if you didn't make it in this particular class, but I will be teaching it again in late May or early June. I also added two more sessions of my intro Copics class in May. Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 comment:

Penny said...

Beautiful batik effect, really stunning in blue and white too!