Monday, December 8, 2008

Speaking of Airbrushing....

What a weekend! It was so busy for me. Wonderful, but busy. It started Saturday with the Holiday Open House. I would like to thank everyone who stopped by Angela's to wish us well and especially thank everyone for bringing in so much food. I am not sure exactly how much food was donated, but we ran out of room at the store to keep it all. Harriett's husband Jim was kind enough to come midday to collect the first round of donations so that we could stop tripping over everything. It was definitely more food than we expected!

I was inspired by my open house demos to show another card I made using the Copic airbrushing system. To make the card above, I took some clear acetate paper by Hambly that was pre-printed with white snowflakes and airbrushed it with blue and purple Copic markers. Because the Copics are alcohol-based, they will dry on difficult surfaces such as glass, ceramics, plastics, and acetate. Once I finished my winter looking background, I added a saying and a cute little Santa owl from Hero Arts. I think a snowflake image or embellishment might have looked better on the card, but I am still on my owl-kick, so I had to add him to the card instead. The nice thing about this card is that it was extremely fast to make.

The next part of my weekend had nothing to do with crafting, so feel free to tune out at any point!

I am still rather giddy from my Sunday night trip into DC to watch the stars arrive for the taping of the Kennedy Center Honors. It is something my friends and I have started doing, and it is just so much fun. The best part evening was that I had a Barbara moment! That's right, Barbara Streisand came over to where we were standing so that we were only a few feet apart, and we even made eye-contact. It was fantastic! We also got to see the other honorees (Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Twyla Tharp, George Jones, and Morgan Freeman) as well as Clint Eastwood, Jack Black, Tom Skerritt, Aretha Franklin, Queen Latifah, Babyface, Quincy Jones, Beyonce, David Gregory, and tons of politicians (Madeline Albright, Newt, Tom Daschle, Mark Warner, and Nancy Pelosi). I think I was most excited to see Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel. He is just such a babe, and I love her voice. Plus, they are a really cute couple. Dave Grohl was fun to see not only because I like the Foo Fighters and Nirvana but also because I could imagine my friend Donna saying, "hey, he was just on Top Chef." :) I am bummed that I saw people that I knew but didn't recognize at the time. I didn't recognize Donna Karan, Joss Stone, or Chris Cornell. I am really sad that I didn't recognize Chris Cornell because I play his version of "Billy Jean" all the time. Rats! I am also sad that I only got a fleeting glance at Rob Thomas. Oh well. I guess I am just going to have to make do with my Barbara moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your air brush cards are wonderful! It's no wonder you like your little HA owl...he's cute! Envy your Barbra moment! Q

Susan said...

Love the card with the owl! Such a fun story about seeing the stars! I bet it was freezing outside too.

Elena said...

What an exciting time at the Kennedy Center. I always enjoy reading about the event before it airs on tv. Sorry I didn't make it to Angela's on Saturday, I had the mac-n-cheese ready to go but just couldn't find the time in my day. Happy Holidays if I don't see you!