Sunday, May 4, 2008

Story Challenge

The challenge last week at the Hero Arts blog was to create something telling your story by using Hero Arts stamps. It was definitely a challenge. First I had to find stamps that I felt represented me AND were made by Hero Arts. Then I had to piece together a collage. I love looking at collages but don't have much experience making my own.

I am a voracious reader, so I wanted to include books in my collage. I don't have a HA book stamp, so I decided to use pages from a book. Yes, I defaced a book for this project. Would it help if I said it wasn't a very good book? I took one page and spritzed the entire thing with gold Glimmer mist. I then took a second page and tore it into smaller pieces. I colored half of the pieces with a green Copic marker and half with a blue marker. The Copics worked well because they let the print show through the color. I glued the colored pieces randomly onto the shinny gold page and let it dry. I left some of the gold uncovered so that I would have parts of the paper that were gold, parts that were blue, and parts that were green. I then stamped the "L," the heart, and the butterfly onto the paper using black Versafine ink. I cut out each of the elements and glued them onto my card.

The map on the card was stamped onto clear vellum using blue Staz On. I cut out a compass from printed paper and glued it under the vellum so that it became part of the map (it is located underneath the flower). I enjoy using this technique on my cards. I love the effects you can get by letting interesting papers show through vellum. My advice is to try out a piece of vellum over all kinds of paper to see what shows though well. It is hard to predict just by looking at the papers. You really need to use a trial-and-error with the vellum in hand.

It ended up being an interesting challenge. I spent a LOT more time thinking about the project than actually stamping the card!

3 comments:

Penny said...

Oh my goodness, what a lot of work you've put into this, but so worth it! It's stunning!I bet the gold touches look even more beautiful in real life!

GiftsByHeidi said...

Wow Laura, this is gorgeous!! I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I love it.

Julie Koerber said...

How neat is this? I agree with Penny, it looks like a ton of work, but the result is just beautiful! Very cool!