Thursday, March 13, 2008

Confession and Bragging


I have a confession. I really don't enjoy making baby cards. Maybe it is the fact that I'm not around kids much. Maybe it is the fact that I don't own baby stamps and have to "finagle" a baby card using what I have. "Oh! You are due in November? Here is your turkey themed baby card. Notice how the turkeys are stamped in pink and blue." I just doesn't work.

With all that being said, you can imagine my delight when I received a Cuttlebug for Christmas (thank you Chrisi), and it came with a baby themed embossing plate. Woohoo! Now I am not as lame (at least with regards to baby cards). The beauty of this plate is that it has an actual baby themed item on it, AND it takes no time to use. It just keeps getting better and better.

For today's card, I ran the Cuttlebug postage die through the machine with pink paper to make a pink postage stamp. I then placed the stamp between the baby embossing plate and ran it through the machine a second time to emboss the carriage onto the postage stamp. I "borrowed" some baby paper from my friend Hare and ran it through with the swirl embossing plate. The interesting thing about embossing paper with script is that when you hold the card one way, it is easy to read the words, and when you hold it another way, it is hard to read the words. I can't decide if I like the technique for that reason. However, I was at a Cuttlebug mini retreat with some friends and went into Cuttlebug hyperdrive. If it didn't move, I ran it through the Cuttlebug. To finish the card, I "borrowed" some sheer ribbon from Hare and then "borrowed" some pop dots to raise the postage stamp over the ribbon. Hint...don't invite me to your house to craft. I tend to "borrow" a lot of stuff.

Now for the bragging...I just found out I received 2nd runner up (nice term for 3rd place) in the latest Penny Black contest. It was the cheerful card I posted here the other day. It has since made me even more cheerful....prizes tend to do that to me.

3 comments:

Penny said...

Congratulations on your win Laura!!That's fantastic and a beautiful springlike cheerful card :)

Love the baby one too. I just got a Cuttlebug 2 weeks ago and it's fantastic for quick cards isn't it?

Nancy S said...

Hey, Laura, that is great on your Penny Black win! Congrats! I love that card and the baby card, too. What a great way to dress up a preprinted background paper. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

~*~Patty S said...

I've never seen a cuttlebug (love that name) up close and personal. Your babykins card is so textured and sweet! Big Congrats on your Penny Black win! Your card is stunning, a real beauty. Always love what you create!