Pages

▼

Friday, October 7, 2016

IO/MISTI Blog Hop




Greetings friends.  Today I am very happy to participating in a blog hop between My Sweet Petunia (makers of the MISTI stamp positioner) and Impression Obsession.  The two design teams have created projects that show the advantages of using a very precise stamp positioner with your rubber or clear stamps.

Be sure to visit each of the blogs participating in the hop and leave comments on each blog as you go so that you will be entered to win a prize.   On Wednesday, October 12th,  two winners will be drawn from everyone who leaves a comment on ALL the blogs in the hop to win a prize.  One person will win a mini MISTI and another will win a $25 IO gift certificate. Winners will be posted on the My Sweet Petunia and Impression Obsession blogs as well as their Facebook pages.  Good Luck!


For the hop today, I made two different cards that highlight the precision of the MISTI stamp positioner by My Sweet Petunia.  MISTI stands for the Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented, and I have to say, it is absolutely amazing.  I have started using it in my classes, and I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love it.

The first topic I wanted to talk about was stamping on uneven surfaces.  I do a LOT of watercoloring, so I am constantly stamping images onto watercolor paper.  If you have ever stamped on watercolor paper, you have probably noticed that the bumps of the paper often prevent you from getting a nice, sharply stamped image.  Therefore, I have started using the MISTI with all of my watercolor projects so that I can stamp an image over and over on top of itself until I get an image that doesn't have missing lines.



Here is a picture of the Curious Squirrel by Impression Obsession before I did any watercoloring:


Even though this image is highly detailed, you can not tell at all that I overstamped the squirrel more than once.  The MISTI really lets you stamp an image precisely on top of itself.  Can you tell his cute little whiskers were stamped twice?  I also stamped the saying from the Card Sentiments set using the MISTI because I knew I would have to stamp it more than once on the watercolor paper.

Of course, I couldn't resist stamping my own background with two Impression Obsession Cover a Card backgrounds.  The "patterned paper" I stamped is a combination of the Distressed Denim CAC stamped first with Color Box Ice Blue Chalk ink to give a mottled look.  I then stamped it with the new Boxwood CAC with Color Box Azurite Chalk ink. 




The second card I made also illustrates the advantage of having a very precise stamp positioning tool.


The first step was to stamp the Watercolor Butterfly onto kraft cardstock:


You can see that with my first stamping, the body of the butterfly didn't show up very well.   This often happens with solid areas on stamps. Normally I would stamp it again with the MISTI, but for the bottom layer, my butterfly didn't need to be perfect.

For the next step, I colored the butterfly with an assortment of blue, green, and yellow Prismacolor pencils.  The best part of this technique is that you can color on top of all the lines of the butterfly wings.  Not having to stay in the lines makes coloring really fast!   When I finished coloring, you could still see the lines, but they were blurry and clouded.


I definitely had to overstamp the butterfly again using the MISTI to put the lines back on the image.  I wanted to add a glossy look, so I stamped the butterfly again with black pigment ink and embossed it with black powder to give the wings some shine.


Once again, the lines of the butterfly matched up perfectly.  On a side note...  I pressed really hard with the pencils to crush the color onto the paper.  When you press that hard with the pencils, I think it gives it a finished look that is similar to acrylic paints.

I didn't plan it, but I did mess up my sentiment when I added it to the card:


I took a picture so that you could see how I fixed it with the MISTI for the finished card.



I hope you visit the other designers in the hop to get lots of ideas and for the chance to win a prize!

Blog Hop:
Laura Fulcher (You are here)

113 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The Misti should be inducted into a crafters hall of fame! How did we ever do without it? Your squirrel card is amazing. Nice subtle touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous cards that capture realistic animals beautifully- great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such precision with the MISTI.....I have to get one after seeing how you stamped such an intricate stamp over and over, exactly on top of the previously stamped one. I love your watercoloring. Both cards are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are wonderful ... but I love the butterfly - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such happy, sweet, colorful creations, Laura! Each so different and with different coloring techniques, and yet, both made with your fantastic tool! The mini misti looks like an awesome! Think I need to invest in one - the big one is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that butterfly card is stunning. I never thought of doing what you did on that. Thanks so much for explaining how to do this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, thanks for showing the imperfections. Helps us all to know how to "fix" things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww how cute it your little squirrel? love him, and your butterfly is colored perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards. Awesome testimonial about the MISTI. You showed how bad stamping can be fixed. Oh, that butterfly is awesome. I never thought to re-stamp after I colored. Great tip.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love my MISTI and your cards!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, that squirrel is awesome, it looks so real. The butterfly is so colorful. Both cards are lovely and your testament to the MISTI is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... awesome cards.. so very different from each other but each beautiful... thanks for sharing and the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cards! Loved seeing the progression of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe you did the butterfly with pencils. I never get results like that! Your card is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cards and I love the butterfly and the embossing you did. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both are beautiful, and I sure could of used the Misti the other day when my card was complete, until I stamped the sentiment and ruined it...a great fix on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a surprise when I scrolled down and saw your cards!! Both so different and so lovely. Love both your cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous cards, amazing coloring on the squirrel and beautiful butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great demo of the power of a Misti!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cards are both so very gorgeous! And, I just love the MISTI as it sure saves a lot of headache for me. Now with arthritis I can still get a great impression.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful cards! I love the Misti with watercolor paper. Success everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Laura, these are absolutely beautiful! (Love that squirrel!) And I too have learned to never stamp on watercolour paper without using the MISTI. Its a MUST for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This a an absolutely wonderful card. Your coloring is perfect. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute squirrel - so realistic. The butterfly is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Terrific coloring, the squirrel looks like a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your cards! Your coloring looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank for showing how it works on watercolour paper, it's one of my favorite mediums to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness.... both of your cards are absolutely darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, especially the butterfly. I guess I need to give my pencils another try.

    ReplyDelete
  30. the squirrel is BEAUTIFUL, makes a stunning card, the butterfly is pretty also...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh the squirrel looks so real! And I love the coloring on the butterfly - so vibrant! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. excellent job on both cards. Misti is a stampers dream tool.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Both cards are lovely, and your painting/coloring is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I too love the MISTI. Your beautiful cards make me want to try colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow ... the squirrel is amazing! And that butterfly ... just wow. Thank you for sharing your techniques :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I know I need a Misti for sure when I see all these beautiful cads. I love that adorable squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful cards and perfectly colored. MISTI and IO are a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Two beautiful cards!!
    I love my Misti :o)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your cards especially the squirrel one is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Both of your cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful coloring, I've been looking for a big butterfly stamp like the one you used.

    ReplyDelete
  42. WONDERFUL CARDS ! Love that Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's amazing how the MISTI has changed our crafty work flow. It had made me a better stamper and there's no hedging when it comes to layers or masking now. IO's squirrel image seems to jump off the page. Great job and TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely cards.
    Thanks for the tips.
    MISTI is an awesome tool!
    Love your squirrel the best. He's very cute, and stamped very well!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lovely cards - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow zers!!! what a spectacular Card. Your squirrel looks like a real photo. Awesome water coloring. Both cards are amazing. Butterfly is vibrant! Stamping is one of my biggest love for crafting. Thank You for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  47. IO's images are spot on! That squirrel image looks as if it could jump right off the card. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your squirrel looks so real, he just might jump off the card.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful cards. I love the squirrel he looks so real and the butterfly is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great cards and your tutorial was excellent in describing and showing just how useful the MISTI can be. I sure would love to win one. Thanks for the inspiration. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the effect of the coloring on the black and white image and the heat embossing on the butterfly makes it extra special. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your squirrel is so life like. It's amazing! You are so talented. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Super cards! I really like the look you achieved with the colored pencils and embossing on the butterfly card. I see how using the MISTI really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awesome cards! The squirrel looks so very real! The butterfly is stunning. Thanks for all the info on the stamping. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Both cards are Beautiful! I love that the Misti will make a better stamping impression on the water color papers.. that is always a problem for sure.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    hugs
    Judy K

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great cards. Awesome coloring on the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Beautiful butterfly and I like how realistic the squirrel is.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Beautiful cards! Love your tips on using the MISTI! The squirrel looks amazing, and a beautiful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Both of your cards are beautiful

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  60. Each card is a thing of beauty. The squirrel coloring is spot on and then the butterfly coloring pops with the sequins. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Both of your cards are great, but I especially like your butterfly card and the detailed instructions you included. The MISTI is great for stamping your image a second time after you colored the butterfly because it made the butterfly really pop by redefining the lines. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow that squirrel looks like you hand drew it! Just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  63. First, that squirrel's detail is amazing and your coloring superb. Thank you for the tip of over stamping and embossing the butterfly once the coloring is complete. Beautiful cards made even more so with the help of the MISTI!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I tend to love any furry creature and butterflies as well! You did an excellent job with two very different challenges, and they are both terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Gorgeous! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  66. The squirrel is too cute and the butterfly is stunningly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  67. The squirrel is so life-like! What a great job. And I like the butterfly, too.
    So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  68. that squirrel looks like he's sitting on a
    shelf and will be able to jump out of
    the screen into my lap. The coloring
    is fantastic.
    The butterfly is beautiful too.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  69. That chubby little squirrel is adorable! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Beautiful cards. The squirrel is incredible...so realistic! Amazing talent! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Two beautiful cards! TFS your techniques with the Misti!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I hope you are getting this comment because I'm new at this. Your squirrel is so realistic and the butterfly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  73. WOW! your squirrel really pops, I wanted stroke him, yet I know in nature you don't. love coloring and design.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Your squirrel really looks real. At first I thought you had used a photo. Great card & really cute squirrel. The butterfly is so pretty. I love butterflies. A sign of renewal. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  75. Wow!! Your squirrel looks so realistic and beautifully colored! The MISTI looks like a must-have for any stamper.

    ReplyDelete
  76. You did an amazing job with both of these cards! It's incredible how realistic the animals are and you picked the perfect mediums to show the stamp sets off!
    Blessings,
    Melitta

    ReplyDelete
  77. Both of your cards are fantastic. Love the squirrel card. It is so realistic. Love the colors you used in the butterfly card. Thank you for sharing and being part of the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  78. What awesome cards! I agree that I don't know what I did before my MISTI! I love that tool!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Laura I was blown away by your beautiful squirrel. It's so realistic at first I thought it was a photograph. Then you shared your butterfly creation and I was blown away again. Wow! You're amazing!
    Thanks for sharing how you did both techniques. Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  80. That squirrel looks soft enough to touch!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Absolutely gorgeous cards!!! I especially love how you watercolored the squirrel stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  82. MISTI has revolutionized stamping. Your squirrel card is so realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Great cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Gorgeous cards. So realistic and just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  85. love the CAS designs and the gorgeous little bunny image:)

    ReplyDelete
  86. I have been reading all that I can find...want to start making my own cards to add a personal touch. Currently reading more than creating and need to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  87. You did an awesome job on the squirrel. Great Copic coloring. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  88. beautiful!! love how you overstamped the butterfly and embossed it!

    ReplyDelete
  89. The MISTI does save many projects. Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  90. I LOVE that cute little squirrel so much. Nature themes are some of my very favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Two stunning cards!! LOVE the blue and green butterfly but the beautiful squirrel has my heart!! At a previous job there were tons of squirrels right outside our window and I would go out at break and lunch with bags of peanuts to try to get them to eat from my hand. After a few months they would come and sit on my leg and eat from my hand! What a moving experience! They would sit and look at me as they ate and even hang out when the nuts were gone.
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Two beautifully coloured cards! You have shown how precise the MISTI is, and how necessary it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  93. You are an artist. I love both cards and I appreciate how you added more ink and embossing powder after coloring the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  94. I love the squirrel image. It reminds me of that viral video that was going around for a while. Beautiful coloring of him. Thank you for sharing your art work!

    ReplyDelete
  95. Very beautiful cards! They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  96. When seeing your 'Squirrel' card for the first time, it made me smile...real big! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  97. That squirrel is adorable, love your background with this too. And what a beautiful butterfly. I have often lost the boldness of stamped lines while coloring with colored pencils. What a great idea you had to stamp again and emboss. Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Great cards! The squirrel is so cute and I love the colors of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  99. This Curious Squirrel is so realistic, that when I first saw the card, I looked at it for a long while. The coloring is so good. I think what you've said about the MISTI is quite revealing, at least to me. Using the MISTI to stamp onto pencil and then heat emboss the lines of the butterfly is actually incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  100. I think the squirrel card is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Beautiful cards! Especially the bright butterfly *-*

    ReplyDelete
  102. What fabulous cards. The squirrel looks very real and the last embossing made the butterfly gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your artistic talents.

    ReplyDelete
  103. i dont' even know which one i like better! thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  104. I am so thankful for all the bloggers who inspire us! The squirle is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I can't tell you how much it means to me!