Monday, July 20, 2009

Outside My Zone

Last week the Hero Arts challenge was to make a card that was inspired by something on the Hero Arts website whether it was a card, technique, or whatever. I saw a card I really liked which you can see here.

I loved the shape and color of the original as well as the use of buttons. For my take on the card, I decided to change the shape and add a lot more buttons. What I ended up with is a card I like but one that I am not sure people would guess was made by me. I guess it is good to sometimes make things you wouldn't normally consider in your comfort zone. I did have to laugh though because someone commented that they liked the buttons I sewed on my card. I didn't go THAT far out of my zone. Those babies have waxed linen thread though the holes and are glued onto the card.

My friend Chrisi said the saying looked like it was digitally added to the card. I guess it sort of does. In actuality, I stamped the saying onto the blue card and again on the heart. I then lined up the letters when I glued the heart onto the card.

On a random side note, I was reading an article today about two people getting married who have the same name. Some guy named Kelly Hildebrandt is marrying a woman named Kelly Hildebrandt. I find myself obsessing today about how odd that is. The weirdest thing they have discovered so far is that they can't figure out whose mail is whose. :)

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Laura - I saw the photo first and thought, "Wow, this really reminds me of Hero Arts"....then I scrolled down :) What a FANTASTIC job you did on the challenge. I like how you reversed the colors and used all buttons unlike the inspiration card - I like your card more than the inspiration :)

Unknown said...

amazing card, its beautiful!

Anonymous said...

No, the card isn't your usual style...but it's really good! I think glue was a good choice (this coming from a glue-a-holic). If you sew buttons on, don't you have to do something to the inside of the card to hide the knots? Q

Anne said...

Hi, Laura! Pretty card! I'm not normally a button fan, but I like how you've used them here. I especially like the bright summer colors! :-)

Diana said...

Just lovely Laura!

Andrew T. Firehose said...

Oh wow! I love this! The colors are amazing. Makes me want to use buttons now!

Jenny Gropp said...

This is so fun! I love it. I really like the way you stamped the sentiment.... I would have thought it was a rub on.

Jane said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love the way you used your buttons and colours are yummy!